In this article, I am going to tell you about two important SEO ranking factors- keyword prominence and proximity. It indicates how famous your keywords are and how close are they placed on your website.
We hope that after reading this article you will be able to write better content in terms of search engine optimization. We are discussing two topics here-
Save Your SEO, Don’t Try To Make Google Fool, Read-
It simply means the popularity of keywords of your website. Title, Meta, H1, H2, H3, H4 are key components of the web page. The number of times the keyword is found on those components indicates how prominent that particular keyword or, keyphrase is.
Google and Bing tend to show prominent keywords1 in the top search result. When you use SEO tools or, SEO plugins on WordPress it suggests you keep keywords on those areas. Apart from those image title and image alt tag also a sign of prominence.
For SEO purpose you have to focus on a few things-
1. Synchronization between Keyword Prominence and Density: Prominent Keyword will not rank higher if you forget about density. It is suggested that you can use keyphrase once in 200 words. 4% of the whole article is considered better. Try to keep the density of keyword 1/2%. Read More on- Formula of Keyword Density in SEO
2. Use of Synonymous Keyphrase in SEO: It is a wonderful practice to use the synonym of the keyphrase. People use different search terms for the exactly same result. I refer to those terms as synonyms, not the literal meaning.
3. Longer Articles Rank Better: If you keep the keyword density between 1% to 2%, you can use it more on longer articles. Write a 2000 words article and use the keyphrase 10 times or, less. The possibility is higher than the article will rank better for that keyword.
It indicates how close the words of a keyphrase placed. More closed keyphrase get more attention from Google bots. It helps to boost search ranking. The keyword proximity will be the highest if you use the exact key phrase. It is natural that your article will be on top.
But there are thousands of people who will think the same. So, Google will consider a few of the highest authority sites for the top page and ignore others.
There are some people who use the synonym of keyphrase and write articles with lower proximity. They may have better chances to rank higher than those low authority sites.
Some Tips on Keyword Proximity-
1. Use The Exact Keyphrase For Low Competition Keywords: If you think, the competition is lower for a keyword/keyphrase. Then use the Exact Keyphrase on Title, Meta, first paragraph, and Headings. It will work
2. For High Competition Keywords- Use Synonymous Keyphrase: If the search volume and competition for a keyword is higher, keep the proximity lower. And use synonyms on Title/Headings and first paragraph. Look at the first-page result carefully. And analyze what you need to write. No one will visit your article if they got the same title in the first article.
3. Natural, Catchy, and Unique Title: You can use Top 10, Beginners guide, Secret Revealed, and a lot more catchy phrase. Whether you use the exact keyword or, Synonym it must look natural. Write content for human readers. A unique and catchy title and meta description bring more visitors.
You may like our previous blog posts-
Both Keyword prominence and proximity will help you to boost your web page ranking if you can use it perfectly. Write longer articles, keep keyword density2 below 3%, use a synonymous keyphrase, keep proximity higher or, lower based on your understanding and rank better than 90% of websites with less effort. Please, comment below to give your opinion.
Hey, don’t spoil your SEO efforts, read below-
It indicates the process of manipulating Google to rank keywords. There are some mistakes usually made by people with a lack of SEO knowledge–
- Repetition of unnatural keywords
- Spinning Contents with zero value to the users
- Use the synonymous words again and again
Hear more about it from Matt Cutts and Nelson from Google webmaster–
You don’t need to use the exact keyphrase always. Google has the ability to understand similar words and sentences. The ability of Google to understand such a thing is known as keyword stemming.
For example– buy, bought, buying, buys are similar. Don’t ever think Google is a fool. You may think- “This article will not rank for this keyphrase if I don’t use the exact term”
The reality is, Google and other search engines always value user satisfaction, not the exact match or, simple rule of thumb. Write content for readers, it will obviously rank better for similar search terms.
So, keyword prominence and proximity will work only if the content works better from the readers’ perspective. Any sort of attempt to manipulate Google search results will bring a penalty for your website. Google, sometimes gives a demotion is ranking due to unnatural practice.